Electric bikes have changed the way we ride. I mean they do provide the extra support some of us might need. Since they are such fun to ride, why should only adults enjoy them? Yes, you heard that right! There are electric bikes for kids and teens.
Having a kid who shares the same level of cycling passion as you feels fortunate, doesn’t it? With the right kind of electric bike, they can go on mountain climbs with you, and even keep up on long rides! Which electric bike can you get for your kid? Well, that’s the right question you should be asking!
Here are some models that you can consider. Show them to your teens too. See which one they like!
10 Best Electric Bikes For Kids and Teens
After more than 48 hours of research and testing, I have finally found the best electric bikes that kids ride. I tried covering all the bike types, from balance bikes to electric bikes for teens. Let’s start!
|Woom UP 6
|Mondraker F-Play 24
|Bulls Twenty4 E
|Ben-E-Bike TWENTYFOUR-SIX E-Power
|Brushless DC Rear-Hub Motor
|RadPower RadExpand 5
|Stacyc 16EBrushless Balance Bike
|High Output Brushless Motor
1. Jetson LX10- Editor’s Choice
Price: MSRP $349.99-$399.99
- Convenient foldable design for easy storage and transportation.
- Suitable for children aged 12 and above.
- The bike comes without a drivetrain, making it easy for kids to use and reducing maintenance.
- Maximum speed of 15.5mph to prevent over-speeding.
- Automatic motor shutdown when the speed limit is reached to enhance safety.
- Equipped with a 250W motor, providing ample power for climbing steep hills.
- Features integrated headlights for enhanced visibility and safety during low-light conditions.
- Powerful dual disc brakes for reliable and efficient braking.
It is designed with a speed limit to ensure a safe and controlled riding experience for kids. That’s one of the many reasons why the Jetson LX10 is my top pick for today.
- Lightweight Construction
- Safety-Regulated Motor
- 30-Days Return Policy
- Difficult To Repair
2. Eclypse Astra
Price: MSRP $399.99
- Powered by an 18V 4Ah battery for extended fun times
- Maximum ride time of 75 minutes per charge
- Three different power modes for a customizable riding experience
- Max speed capped at 11mph for safety
- Lightweight chassis for easy handling and added fun
- 16″ pneumatic tires for a smooth and comfortable ride
- Rear drum brake for powerful stopping capability
I would suggest you buy Eclypse Astra for your kid if you think they can easily handle a twist throttle.
Find the perfect bike for your child today! Check out our guide to kids’ bike sizes and make sure you don’t buy the wrong bike
- Durable Steel Frame
- Strong Battery
- Sometimes Battery Cutts Off Mid Ride
3. Woom UP 6
Price: MSRP $3,999.00
- Built for off-road adventures and smooth power transfer
- 250W/55Nm Fazua Evation mid-drive motor for mountain trail capabilities
- Powered by a 250Wh battery for sufficient range
- 11-Speed SRAM NX drivetrain for versatile riding options
- Special components, including dedicated geometry and a 90mm travel hydraulic air suspension fork
- Ergonomically designed for children’s biomechanics with notable highlights in handlebars and saddle
- Promax hydraulic disc brakes for reliable stopping power
- Schwalbe Rocket Ron 26 x 2.35″ tires for enhanced traction
- Woom Off Disco Tec double-chamber aluminum rims for durability and performance.
The downside of this bike is that it is costly!
- Smooth Power Transmission
- Adjustable Handlebars
- Customizable Motor
- Only For Intermediate Mountain Trail Riding
- Battery Has To Be Removed For Charging
4. Mondraker F-Play 24
Price: MSRP $3,999.00
- Full-suspension electric bike designed for conquering mountain trails
- Mahle-Ebikemotion X-35 mid-drive motor for tackling steep hills and tricky trails
- 250Wh battery for ample power, paired with a Shimano Deore drivetrain
- Forward geometry for improved handling
- Child-specific RockShox Judy fork with zero suspension and 100mm travel
- Hydraulic disc brakes for reliable stopping power
- Wide 2.4″ Kenda Booster tires for excellent traction on varied terrain
- Technological advancements contributing to the overall improvement of electric bikes
- Emphasis on the bike’s capability to enable kids to tackle challenging trails and ride harder.
This is easily one of the most versatile electric mountain bikes for kids.
- Powerful Brakes
- Responsive Handling
- Expensive For A Kids E-Bike
5. Bulls Twenty4 E
Price: MSRP $2,999.00 -$3,599.00
The best feature has to be the safety lights. They make sure that your kids are fully visible on the road.
Get your child the perfect bike! Check out our list of the best bikes for 4-year-olds and make sure your child has a fun and safe ride
- Great Drive Unit
- Decent Wheels
- Basic Fork
- Noisy Motor
6. Ben-E-Bike TWENTYFOUR-SIX E-Power
Price: MSRP $2,352.30
- An affordable electric bike designed for kids’ enjoyment
- Hybrid-style bike available in two wheel sizes (26” and 24”) for stability and rollover ability
- Precise maneuverability on technical trails without the need for a fork suspension
- Powered by a 250Wh battery for ample power on various terrains
- Shimano ZEE drivetrain for efficient climbing capabilities
- Hydraulic disc brakes for reliable stopping power
- Schwalbe Rocket Ron Addix tires for an unforgettable journey
- Full-Suspension Bike
- Lagging Motor
- High Stand-Over Height
7. RadPower RadExpand 5
Price: MSRP $1,399
- Recommended for pre-teens due to its low standover height
- Not limited to just a “Kid’s” Bike, appealing to a broader age range
- Fascinating choice for kids with an inseam as short as 21 inches
- Step-through frame for easy customization of personal preferences
- Adjustable handlebars, various levels of pedal assist, and a seven-speed system for a customizable riding experience
- Foldable design for minimal storage space requirements
- Powerful 750W motor for daily adventures with a range of 45+ miles
It is also priced very well, you don’t have to break the bank to get this amazing bike!
Don’t let your child miss out on the fun! Check out our list of the best kids mountain bikes and give your child the perfect ride
- Easy Handling
- Non-User-Friendly Display
8. Pedego Element
Price: MSRP $1,995.00-$2,395.00
- Suitable for both adults and older kids with experience
- Not recommended for use as a balanced bike for inexperienced riders
- Powered by a robust 500W motor for tackling various terrains
- Fat tires designed to provide traction on sand, snow, potholes, and gravel paths
- Versatile and powerful electric bike suitable for a range of riding conditions
- Can Be Used By Both Adults and Kids
- Can Tackle Any Kind Of Terrain
- Rear Disc Brake Is Prone To Water Accumulation
- Tires Lack Puncture Resistant Lining
9. Stacyc 16EBrushless Balance Bike
Price: MSRP $1,049.00
- Ideal for teaching kids how to scoot and balance themselves
- Acts as a stepping stone for transitioning to a dirt bike in the future
- Available in both 12-inch and 16-inch models, accommodating toddlers and pre-schoolers
- Throttle-operated with a run time of 30-60 minutes, suitable for kids
- Maximum speed locked at 9 mph for safety
- Lightweight design, surprising for its resemblance to a dirt bike
Petite kids might have trouble operating this bike on their own so a little assistance will be required.
Make your child’s day with the perfect bike! Read our list of the best BMX bikes for kids and find the perfect bike for your child.
- Available In Different Sizes
- Great Run Time (30-60 Minutes)
- Lightweight Design
- Rear Brake Lever Is Out Of Reach For Small Kids
- Faulty Fuse
10. Swagtron EB6
Price: MSRP $799.99
- High-powered and affordable e-bike designed for kids
- Well-suited for off-road adventures with robust off-road capacity
- Powered by a 350W motor with a maximum speed of 18.6mph
- 20-mile range on a full charge, extended with the 7-speed Shimano SIS drivetrain
- Versatile performance on both city roads and off-road terrains
- 4″ fat tires for stability and traction on varied surfaces
- Powerful dual disc brakes for consistent and reliable braking
- Suited for young adventurers seeking rough and varied riding experiences.
I would recommend you replace the battery with a more powerful one to get a better outcome.
- Rigid Frame and Fork
- Powerful Motor
- Easy Assembly
- Difficult Pedal Assist
- Noisy Brakes
IceBike Tips For Buying An Electric Bike For Kids
I have compiled some useful tips that you should consider when getting an electric bike for your kids. Let’s take a look!
1. Always Consider The Laws Of Your City/State
Before purchasing an electric bike for your kids, it is advised to consider the laws of your state and city. There are many areas in which using a class 2 electric bike is prohibited. The same goes for class 3 bikes, these are bikes that can go very fast by using the throttle, it is better to be safe than sorry.
2. Look For Electric Bikes With A Torque Sensor
Electric Bikes with a torque sensor are very easy to control, and without one, things can become very dangerous/tricky for kids. While using an electric bike without a torque sensor, pedaling slower doesn’t slow down the bike, this can prove to be very dangerous for children.
3. Avoid Bikes With A Throttle System
Electric Bikes with a throttle allow kids to reach alarmingly high speeds without even having to pedal, these types of bikes should be avoided.
3. Consider The Weight Of The Bike
Electric Bikes are heavier in comparison with traditional bikes, and some of them can become very challenging for adults. If they are challenging enough for adults, how will kids be able to handle them? Most electric bikes weigh more than 60 lbs.
4. Electric Balance Bikes Are Different
The laws that apply to electric bikes don’t apply to electric balance bikes. Even though they are safe to use, kids should be supervised while they ride electric balance bikes.
Don’t settle for a mediocre bike! Check out our list of the best electric bikes under $3000 and get the perfect ride
Is It Legal For Kids To Use Electric Bikes?
When it comes to the legality of the matter, kids are allowed legally to ride electric bikes. There are certain limitations for kids under the age of 18, but that is in some states. According to the government rules, some kids have to wait till the age of 14 or even 18 to start riding. Here is the list of the states and the regulations.
|Minimum Age Requirement
Note: The rest of the states don’t have an age requirement for kids to ride an electric bike. However, it is required that while riding the bike they are under the supervision of adults.
Can Kids Safely Use Electric Bikes?
This is a common concern when it comes to getting an electric bike for your kids. There are a lot of safety measurements taken by manufacturers to make sure that kids are protected during the riding session, an example is a safety-regulated motor. Once kids reach the maximum speed of an e-bike, the motor automatically shuts down, this prevents over-speeding and also allows the kids to have a break from cycling.
While riding a bike, confidence is the key, if your kid is confident in the new bike then they will be able to enjoy riding. If a kid learned to ride like they should have then switching to a motor-powered bike should pose no problems at all!
My Methodology- How I Choose The Best Kids Electric Bikes
As an avid biker, I understand the struggle of finding a high-quality bike so that your kids to be included in this activity. That’s why I’ve dedicated countless hours to researching and analyzing the best mountain bikes for kids on the market. I’ve scoured the web for honest reviews and feedback from verified customers, and I’ve even tested some of the top contenders myself, including the editor’s choice.
Using my extensive knowledge of bike components and their strengths and weaknesses, I’ve narrowed down the top options that offer the best value for your money. So you can trust that these bikes have been thoroughly vetted and carefully selected.
- Best Electric Bikes For Snow And Winter Commute
- Electric Bike Benefits: Why It Is The Best Time To Get An E-Bike
Are electric bikes safe for children?
It depends on the age of your child as well as their riding skills.
Is an electric scooter safe for 7 year old?
Electric scooters are not recommended for children 7 years old.
What is the youngest age for electric scooter?
8 years old is the youngest age for electric scooters.
Can you put a child on an ebike?
You can attach a rack to put your child on an e-bike. However, if they are of the appropriate age, they can ride the bike themselves.
Why kids should try electric bikes? This is a very interesting question. Riding a bike becomes so much easier with the help of electric bikes, kids learn to do difficult rides and even keep up with their parents on longer/endurance-based rides. Think of electric bikes as automatic cars for kids. They don’t have to worry about the complications of the gear system, just pedal away!
If you are passionate about cycling too then both you and your kids can have great adventures with Jetson LX10. But there are certain guidelines to follow while using electric bikes. Make sure to supervise your kids while they are using these bikes, if you can join them while they ride then that’s even better. Have fun with these bikes and remember to always wear a helmet!